Sunday, March 14, 2010

Checking In

Things are crazy busy right now and I'm sad to say I've had to neglect this blog. I think about it all the time, though, and look forward to writing more regular posts once my time frees up a bit.

I've been scribbling down lots of ideas for future posts so stay tuned. One thing that's been on mind is the apparent critiques a certain celebrity couple have received for "dressing" their daughter in "boyish" clothes.

http://www.afterellen.com/blog/dorothysnarker/shiloh-jolie-pitts-haircut-makes-headlines

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/03/03/2010-03-03_shiloh_joliepitts_tomboyish_style_is_a_hot_topic_for_style_mavens_and_celeb_watc.html

I haven't followed the buzz about all of this, but I do find it interesting that this "story" has been taken up as a newsworthy item, exposing (again) hatred and fear about gender non-normativity (IF we can even call this non-normative). Keep up the good work, phobes.

Another thing I've been trying to read more about is the politics of denim. A big piece of this is how jeans have come to be an emblem of comfort. Jeans comfortable? I've never thought so. And for the longest time I thought I held this perspective in isolation. Not so! It turns out there are other people writing about varied perceptions of "comfort" when it comes to jeans. This is definitely a topic I plan to explore in much more detail. Let me know if this stirs any initial responses.

No comments: